QUESTIONS TO ASK THE ELDER LAW ATTORNEY
…as you consider Medicaid planning or other long-term care or estate issues:
Many attorneys prepare wills and trusts but few attorneys really understand the Medicaid system and how to plan for long-term care. Use this questionnaire to help you determine whether an attorney is qualified to help you and your family with Medicaid and long-term care situations, so you will feel more confident when working with these complex issues:
- Has the attorney been engaged in Medicaid and long-term care planning for at least five years?
- Does the attorney handle at least two Medicaid planning cases a month?
- Is the attorney a member of the National Academy of Elder Law Attorneys (NAELA)?
- Has the attorney completed at least five Medicaid applications?
- Does the attorney attend seminars regularly on Medicaid and long-term care issues?
- Will there be a paralegal or assistant who will be familiar with your situation in case the attorney is not immediately available?
- Will the attorney let you know up front how much my Medicaid planning will cost, including extras, so there will be no surprises?
Ina Kay Zimmerman can confidently provide a “yes” answer to all these questions. Contact the Zimmerman Law Office to begin addressing concerns about your own aging or issues with loved ones.